Mon 21 December 2015
Score: 5 - 2

Match Report

Carluke entertained neighbours Newmains on Monday night in a friendly match and without the pressures of league duty turned in a free flowing performance.

Rovers were on the attack from the start with Jamie Dickson setting up Ian Watt for a chance after 2 mins but his effort was well saved, this was followed by a great move through the midfield a minute later ending with a Mark Weir cross but Lewis McDougall’s end shot hit the bar.

The next attack of note came from a free kick played in to Dickson but his chipped effort went just over the bar.
Newmains showed they were dangerous on the break when a quick free kick was played out to the right but the parting shot was well saved by Gordon Bruce in the Rovers goal, he then started a Rovers attack with a throw out on the right ending up with McDougall whose excellent ball in was drilled home by Watt for 1-0.

The Rovers lead was doubled in the 34th min when a free kick in to the box was met by Mark Haddow but the effort was cleared eventually coming back in to the box where Dickson set up Watt to make it 2-0.

As the break approached Carluke created a couple of chances when first Liam Thomson making his first start for the club was set free on the right but his low cross was cut ending with up with Dickson who then set up Watt but his header was wide of target.

Half time Carluke Rovers 2 v 0 Newmains Utd.

The second half saw Rovers almost gift Newmains a goal when Weir won the ball in midfield but his attempted pass back was in to an opponents path but the parting shot went just wide of Bruces goal.

Carluke went 3-0 up in the 56th min when a good move on the right looked to have broken down but McDougall won possession back and when it was played to Dickson his effort was saved but that man Watt was on hand to score his and Rovers third of the match from the rebound.

Unfortunately Rovers lost a goal a minute later though as sloppy play from Craig Stark allowed Newmains in and a cool chipped finish made it 3-1.

This setback was short lived though as Rovers next attack brought goal number four when a great move found Haddow and he put a perfect pass in to the path of Weir who looked to have gone too wide on the left but great thinking saw him back heel the ball across goal where Watt was agin on hand to make it 4-1.

Rovers continued to control the match and had efforts from Haddow cleared off the line and McDougall go just past the post before they finally got their 5th goal in the 70th minute.

This came from an excellent run on the right by the hard working Scott Burns who beat his marker for pace on a run covering half the park before laying thee ball in to the path of McDougall who guided the ball home for 5-1.

This goal however was followed by a lapse in concentration a minute later though as slack play on the left allowed their opponents in to score their second of the match for 5-2.

The home side continued to make chances to the end of the match the best of these coming when Thomson cut in from the left and unleashed a great shot that was met by an equally good save to give a final score of 5-2 to the hosts.

Carluke team.
Bruce, Burns, Stark, Wilson, Thomson, Haddow, Ward, Weir(Wileman), Dickson, Watt, McDougall.

Match Report by Craig Martin