Mon 30 September 2013
Score: 4 - 3

Match Report

Carluke Rovers played another Monday night challenge match with this game against Lesmahagow Juniors and came out on top by the odd goal in seven.

The visitors started the match quite brightly but eventually Carluke played their way in to the match with Ian Watt causing the Gow defence problems on each flank. In the 10th minute Rovers got their first chance of note when Craig Stewart set JC Savage free on the right and his good cross was flicked towards goal by Gordon Murphy but his effort was saved by the Gow keeper, the home side continued to threaten when good link up work between Murphy, Mark Weir and comeback man Mark Haddow ended with a Weir shot but this was wide of target.

As Lesmahagow played their way back in to the match they eventually got in front when poor defending from Carluke allowed Darren Meikle to cut inside before lashing a great effort high in to the net for 1-0 to the visitors after 32 mins, this lead was doubled almost directly from the kick of when poor marking allowed ex Rovers man Kris Jarvie to back heel an effort from 6 yards that went through keeper Gavin McLachlan’s legs for 2-0 to the Gow.

36 mins saw Rovers get a goal back when good work from the back saw the ball end with Watt and his excellent curling shot ended high in the Gow net for 2-1.

Carluke did not learn from their earlier poor defending and in the 43rd min a hopeful cross saw Jarvie nip in front of his man to flick home his second and Gow’s third of the match to give a half time score of 3-1 to the visitors.

The second half saw The Rovers pick up the pace and early on a ball in from watt gave Dean Kindlan a chance but his control was poor and the opening was lost. In the 52nd min good work on the right saw the ball played in to a dangerous area and Murphy got a 2nd goal for the home side.

This started a good spell for Carluke with Watt cutting in from the left in the 63rd min but his effort was high, but a couple of minutes later the scores were level when good work on the right set Watt free and his cut back found Kindlan who turned well before firing an unstoppable shot high in to the net for 3-3.

The match then flowed from end to end with both sides making and squandering chances before last minute controversy saw Carluke win the match, Lesmahagow had attacked through the middle and after beating McLachlan the Gow forward played the ball to a team mate who was rightly adjudged by the referee to be offside, from the resultant free kick Rovers broke up-field with the ball eventually finding Watt who set the ball in to the path of Kindlan and the strikers cool finish landed in the bottom corner of the net and with only time to restart the match before the final whistle this gave the home side the win by four goals to three.