Central District Second Division
Sat 3 December 2016
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

Carluke travelled to Glasgow for this league match knowing that a win would see them leapfrog their opponents up the league.
A win did not look as if it would be happening on the day though as the visitors started very poorly and it was the Ants who pressed forward and they took the lead in 8 mins when Daniel Tobin in the Rovers goal brought off a great double save but a poor clearance from Jordan Duncan allowed Ants Craig Smith to score from close range.

The first chance Rovers had was in 15 mins when an Ian Watt free kick went well over the Ants bar.

The home side kept the pressure up on Carluke and had a couple of good chances to double their lead but a combination of good goalkeeping from Tobin and poor finishing kept Rovers in the match.

Carluke only other chance of note in the first half saw Watt lay the ball in to the path omf Scott Burns but his shot was easily saved by the home keeper.

Half time St Anthony’s 1 v 0 Carluke Rovers.

The second half saw Carluke still out of sorts until they had an effort on goal from Lewis McDougall but it was easily saved in the 53rd min.

The match took another twist in the 58th min when Greg Fernie was brought down in the Ants area with no penalty given only for The Ants to break upfield and in turn win a penalty of their own, this was taken low to Tobins right but struck the post before going past.

This was the boost that Rovers needed and they eventually got back in to the match with an excellent move on the left involving Sam Biggart and Fernie who cut the ball in to the path of Watt who fired home for 1-1 after 67 mins.

Things got even better for Rovers in 75 mins when another move on the left saw Watt this time turn provider when he laid the ball in to the path of Fernie who drilled it home for 2-1 to the visitors.

This goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of the Ants and Carluke at last looked the better side with Watt being the thorn in the side of the home team, he looked to have increased the lead farther in the 81st min only for Campbell to bring off a great save to deny him.

Watt however was not to be denied for too long though and got his second and Carluke .third of the match in the 82nd min when Peter Lynn and Fernie linked up on the left before the ball was gain laid in to Watt who rifled home for 3-1 to the visitors.

The icing on the cake came in 85 mins when Burns put an excellent ball through to Watt who turned superbly before firing a superb shot high in to the Ants net to complete his hatrick and round off the scoring at 4-1 to Carluke.

Rovers team.
Tobin, Duncan, London, Renwick, Biggart, McDougall, Haddow, Burns, Wilson(Lynn), Watt, Fernie.

Match Report by Craig Martin