Euroscot Engineering League Cup Section
Mon 12 August 2013
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

On a lovely night for football and on a fantastically prepared pitch the sides served up an excellent match for the supporters. Carluke started better than they have of late with Gordon Murphy and Willie Souter linking up well on the left before Murphy had a strike on goal, his shot looked to strike a defending hand but play was waved on.

In 10 mins a Murphy free kick was played to Stevie Murray at the back post and he headed across goal for Stuart Arnott to head home but the “goal” was chalked of for an infringement that only the referee saw and the scores stayed level. This parity did not last long however as Shotts took the lead after 14 mins when scrappy defending allowed them too much possession in the Rovers penalty area and a low drive found the corner of the net for 1-0 to the home side.

Carluke reacted well to the loss of this goal and Arnott set Darren Hamilton free on the right and the big striker let a good strike on goal away only to see it well saved by the Shotts Keeper and Hamilton then blasted the rebound over the bar. Arnott and Hamilton continued to link up well for the visitors but mistakes elsewhere on the park meant that Shotts were always a threat during most of the first half, the chance of the half however did fall to Carluke when Hamilton played Murphy free on the left and his cross found Arnott whose looping header looked net bound only for the home keeper to bring off a fantastic save to keep the Shotts lead intact until half time.

The second half saw Carluke look hungrier as they pressed Shotts back and they were rewarded for this pressure in the 50th min when their two strikers linked up well again with Arnott cutting the ball back from the left and Hamilton turned defenders before he rifled a shot high in to the net for 1-1.

Better was to come when good work on the right two minutes later from Scott Bellew and Dan Napier saw the ball find Hamilton who this time set up Arnott and his strike partner turned well and also shot high in to the net to give the visiting Rovers a 2-1 lead.

Carluke looked fairly comfortable on this lead but a silly free kick in 60 mins brought an equalising goal when a loose ball fell to the Shotts centre forward who hit a glorious goal high in to the postage stamp- corner past Craig Brown in the Carluke goal for 2-2.

The match flowed from end to end after this with chances few and far between though for most of what was left of the match, the best chance for Rovers coming when Ian Watt was free on the right but his cross was put over the bar by Mark Haddow. This result sees Carluke second in the league cup group and they will need to beat Wishaw on Thursday night and wait for the Shotts/Newmains score to see if they go through.