Central District Second Division
Sat 31 March 2018
Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

Rovers were without six first team regulars as they faced promotion hopefuls Royal Albert FC at their new home venue the John Cumming Stadium.

Albert opened the scoring after 11 minutes when an innocuous looking low cross from the left squirmed through the legs of half a dozen players eventually finding the left foot of Alberts centre forward who placed a finely angled side foot shot into the net from 5 yards.

Rovers then created 3 excellent chances to level the game in a 15 minute period of play where Albert rarely had possession of the ball with the first chance created by Cammy Browning playing at left back who floated a 30 yard ball into the path of Ian Watt who just failed to connect with the ball as he sprinted into the box from the right wing.

Watt again marginally failed to find the net when Tamburinni played him in on the left edge of the box and a quick spin and shot on the turn went inches past the Albert Keepers left hand post. Two minutes later a Weir shot from 30 yards was on target but drifted just over the bar.

Half time Royal Albert 1 – 0 Carluke Rovers.

Rovers began the second half in determined fashion and on 55 minutes Tamburrini’s pace caused Albert problems when he beat 2 defenders, cut in from the right wing, and placed his shot under the keeper only to see it hit off the post and cleared for a corner.

On 58 minutes Tamburinni again beat the left back for pace down the right wing and his cross flashed across goal with no- one able to get on the end of it until the ball fell to Ryan Farrell on the far left of the box who then outsprinted former Rovers full back John Renwick to place a cross on the head of Tamburinni in front of goal only for the Albert keeper to parry the net bound header round the post.

On 65 minutes Albert went two ahead against the run of play when Rovers cheaply gave away possession of the ball in midfield and a combination of poor defending and schoolboy tackling allowed Alberts centre forward to turn on the edge of the Rovers box and score with a finely placed left foot shot into the top left corner of the net.

Albert scored their third of the afternoon in the 85th minute before Carlukes Mark Weir scored a consolation goal in the 90th minute from a deflected 25 yardfree kick.

Full time Royal Albert 3 Carluke Rovers 1.

Match Report by Ian McKnight