WOSFL - Division Four
Wed 15 May 2024
Score: 5 - 1

Match Report

It was the final match of the season for Carluke Rovers and they were in search of a victory against local rivals Newmains United.

Newmains came out strong from the start, putting early pressure on the Rovers and it paid off as in the 3rd minute, Newmains number 10 slotted the ball past Lewis Sanderson, who was unable to block the shot that went through the legs of Grant Mudd, making it 1-0 to the home side.

Rovers had a golden opportunity to equalise almost immediately, but Josh Fullerton’s effort from the far post went over the bar.

The Rovers gradually grew into the game, with Christy Lawlor causing problems down the left flank, drawing fouls and resulting in bookings for Newmains. Despite Rovers pressure, their attempts, including a header over the bar from Steven Logan and a well saved shot from Gavin Goodall, failed to find the back of the net.

Newmains capitalised on Rovers defensive frailties with a long ball strategy. In the 12th minute, their number 10 struck again with a powerful shot that left Sanderson with no chance, doubling their lead to 2-0.

Newmains continued with their tactics of breaking quickly on Rovers and extended their lead further in the 25th minute when number 19 slotted the ball past the diving Sanderson and beyond Logan’s last-ditch block attempt, making it 3-0.

Rovers had a chance to pull one back before halftime when Chris Owen won a free kick, but his effort went over the bar, leaving the score at 3-0 at the break.

Rovers started the second half with intent. In the 46th minute, Christy Lawlor found himself in a good position on the edge of the box, but a tame shot and a great block from Newmains thwarted the chance.

Any hopes of a Rovers comeback were dashed in the 50th minute when Newmains’ number 14 looped the ball over the keeper in a crowded penalty area, making it 4-0.

Rovers continued to press but struggled to create clear-cut chances.

In the 65th minute, Christy Lawlor set up Gavin Goodall, but his effort went wide. A minute later, a skirmish in the Rovers box almost resulted in a fifth goal for Newmains, but the Rovers defence managed to clear.

Newmains eventually added a fifth goal in the 71st minute and the Rovers were fortunate not to fall further behind when the referee awarded a free kick on the edge of the box in the 76th minute. Lewis Sanderson made a good save from Kris Jarvis’ well-placed free kick.

Rovers managed to get a consolation goal in the 80th minute when Mark O’Reilly cut in from the left and fired an unstoppable shot into the far corner, making it 5-1.

The scoreline remained the same until the final whistle, marking a disappointing performance for the Rovers.

As the season ends, Thomas Devine and his team will have plenty to think about close season as they look to rebuild and come back stronger next season.

Match Report by Kevin Ramage


Photography by Kevin Ramage