Carluke Rovers FC v Renfrew FC

WOSFL - Conference B
Sat 22 January 2022
Score: 1 - 6

Match Report

Carluke played their first competitive match of the new year under interim manager Kenny Neill following the departure of Mark Weir. It was hoped that a new year would bring better luck as it has been a difficult season to date but unfortunately the football gods failed to shine on Carluke once more as they welcomed Renfrew in this West of Scotland League game.

As early as the 2nd minute Renfrew breached the Carluke defence and as their No9 bore down on goal only a great save by the feet of Dean Wilson in the Carluke goal prevented the visitors taking an early lead. Carluke only took a further 3 minutes to carve out their first chance when a good run into the box and a one two with Mark O’Reilly saw James Frame shot deflected narrowly wide.

The main difference between the two sides was the prowess of both the Renfrew No9 and No10 who were to make life difficult for the Carluke defence all day. In fact it was the No9 who opened the scoring when he picked up a loose ball, rounded the keeper and slotted the ball away from a tight angle. 0-1 to Renfrew after 10 minutes.

This put Carluke on the back foot but they pushed forward looking for an equaliser. It nearly came in the 16th minute when James Frame ran across the front of the 18 yard box and eluded three defenders before shooting but unfortunately it went straight to the Keeper.

Carluke were to go further behind when in 19 minutes the ball found its way to the Renfrew No10 who cut inside and curled a lovely left foot shot into the top corner giving Dean Wilson no chance. There was to be no more scoring in the first half and it finished 0-2 to Renfrew.

Carluke started the second half knowing that they had to get the next goal and indeed Dillon Duddy went close when his freekick was touched over the bar by the Renfrew Keeper in the 47th minute. The visitors however were hungry for more and No10 pulled a similar good save out of Wilson in the Carluke goal when his shot was palmed over the bar.

However, as has happened all too often this season, Carluke were to manufacture their own downfall. A Carluke defender got caught in possession just outside his own box and when the ball broke to Renfrew No8 he lashed his shot into the roof of the net to make it 3-0.

This goal was heartbreaking for Carluke and it didn’t take long for Renfrew to make it 4-0 in the 60th minute. Again a shot into the roof of the net, this time by the No9. 4-0.

The game was beyond Carluke by this point and it was a tired tackle that pulled down the Renfrew No10 in 80 minutes who got up and duly dispatched the resultant spot kick to make the score 5-0. Then in the 86th minute a brilliant save by Dean Wilson looked to have averted another goal but the ball broke to No9 who calmly scored from a tight angle to make it 6 and complete his hattrick.

In the last minute James Frame cut inside and scored an excellent goal for Carluke in off the far post but it was ultimately only a consolation goal and Carluke have to dust themselves down for another difficult game next week away to St Cadocs.

Final Score Carluke Rovers 1 Renfrew 6.

Match Report by Stevie Kane


Photography by Kevin Ramage