Nithsdale Wanderers FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

Sat 20 July 2013
Score: 1 - 5

Match Report

Carluke Rovers travelled to Sanquhar to play this pre-season match with a threadbare squad but they came away with a convincing result if not at times a convincing performance.
The match started with Ian Watt causing problems for the home defence from the off with his runs on the right flank, he opened the scoring in the 6th minute with one such run when he collected a ball from Stuart Grant before twisting and turning then firing in a low drive across the keeper to the far corner of the net for 1-0 to the Rovers.
Carluke continued to press forward and in the 9th min after Greg Cavanagh was challenged in the Nithsdale penalty area the ball fell to JC Savage who saw his well struck shot saved by the home keeper.
The second goal came in the 17th min when good harrying from Dean Kinlan on the right saw the ball end up at the feet of Watt and the player took the same route to goal down the right before slotting an identical finish across the keeper for 2-0.
The Rovers continued to pin the home defence back with chances falling to Watt and Gordon Murphy but nothing came of either before a Watt corner again found the head of Murphy but his net bound header was cleared off the line. In the last few minutes of the half as often happens the home side got back in to the match with some perfectly placed balls from ex Rovers man Geoff Patterson casing problems for the Rovers defence, one from a free kick found a Nithsdale head and with no Rovers defensive challenge the ball was headed home for 2-1 after 36 mins. As half time approached a loose ball from the Rovers defence saw Keeper Danny Terry in the Rovers goal have to bring off a double save at the expense of a corner and a bleeding nose and lip for him. This corner was again swung in by Patterson for Nithsdale and with the Rovers defence static a header was placed in but came back off the post before being cleared.

Half time Nithsdale Wanderers 1 v 2 Carluke Rovers.

The second half saw The Rovers get off to a flying start when good work on the right from Watt saw him lay the ball in to Cavanagh in the penalty area before he in turn played the ball in to the path of Savage who placed a low drive in to the net for 3-1 to the visitors after 46 mins.
The match was bogged down in midfield for long periods after this before The Rovers eventually regained control of the match in the latter stages and in the 79th min Kinlan struck a low drive which came back off the post when a goal looked certain.
The 4th goal was only slightly delayed though as in the 81st min it came when good work from Cavanagh and Kinlan set up Savage for his second and Rovers fourth goal of the game, this was quickly followed by Dan Napier breaking from defence before playing Kinlan clear on the right and his low cross was tapped in to the net by Cavanagh for a final score of 5-1 to the Rovers.


1 Daniel Terry, 2 Scott Bellew, 3 Stewart Hall, 4 William Soutar, 5 Gregg Cavanagh, 6 Stuart Grant, 7 John Savage, 8 Mark Haddow, 9 Ian Watt, 10 Dean Kindlan, 11 Gordon Murphy, 12 Marc Napier, 14 Ryan Murdoch