Carluke Rovers FC v Greenock Juniors FC

WOSFL - Conference B
Sat 28 August 2021
Score: 0 - 8

Match Report

The team had coped admirably with all the injuries over the past few weeks but today was just a “bridge too far” for the beleaguered squad against a good Greenock side in this West of Scotland League fixture.

The writing was on the wall as early as the 3rd minute when Ryan Corr got down the left side for Greenock and slid the ball across goal from the bye line for striker Dylan McGlaughlin to tap into an empty net.

Rovers nearly got an equaliser in the 9th minute when Stark turned inside the box following a corner but his effort just missed the outside of the Greenock post. This was to be one of few chances that Carluke were to have in the match and they went further behind a minute later when a good cross from Corr found McGlaughlin again and his header found the corner of the Carluke net to make it 2-0 to Greenock after 10 minutes.

There was a chance at both ends as Carluke tried to get back into the game and good goalkeeping from Josh Kane kept Rovers alive but there was nothing he could do when in the 25th minute Greenock got their third. It was to be a copy of the previous 2 goals with a cross coming in from the right this time to No 7 who had the easiest of tasks to knock the ball into the empty net. 0-3. Greenock weren’t finished there and added a fourth in the 40th minute when No 4 got the opportunity to turn in the box and fire a volley into the roof of the net.

Carluke started the second half determined to reduce the deficit but it took only 3 minutes for Greenock to get their fifth when another cross from the right found No 6 completely unmarked and he had the easiest of tasks to make it 5-0.

Another cross this time in the form of a corner found No10 and he headed in number 6 in the 56th minute.

Then in the 60th minute Carluke centre half Dougie Frame was following the ball falling from the air in the Rovers box and in an attempt to head it back to Kane in the Carluke goal he managed to head it over the oncoming Keeper and into the net to make it 7-0 to Greenock.

The final goal came in the 84th minute and was a common thread in the game. A cross from the left by Ryan Corr was met by No10 who had an easy header to complete the scoring at 8-0 to Greenock.

This was just “a bad day at the office” for Carluke Rovers and they need to put it behind them and dust themselves down for the next game which is Saturday 4th September at Dalry Thistle.

Match Report by Stevie Kane

Photography by Kevin Ramage