Carluke Rovers FC v Newmains Utd FC

West Region League Two
Sat 19 January 2019
Score: 4 - 0

Match Report

Larkin fires Rovers ahead

Rovers displayed patience, perseverance, possession and penetrating passing football and didn’t let early frustrations in front of goal get in the way of a 4-0 victory against Newmains Utd.

With the new striking partnership of Lafferty and Larkin up front Rovers were unlucky not to open the scoring after ninety seconds when Pettigrew outpaced his marker down the right wing and crossed to Larkin lurking at the front post who’s initial angled shot was saved by Newmains keeper Martin Meek who launched himself across goal to block Lafferty’s goal bound strike.

A minute later Weir orchestrated a move from midfield with Pettigrew threading a slick pass through to Lafferty who side footed the ball narrowly past the far post.

Rovers opened the scoring on fifteen minutes when Weir drilled a 30yard pass to Pettigrew on the right wing with his first time cross finding Larkin who acrobatically performed an overhead kick from close range which looped over the keepers head and bulged the back of the net.

On twenty minutes Larkin ran straight onto a kick out from Cherrie but his 25 yard strike hit the post and rebounded into the keepers arms.

Sam Biggart powering forward

On 22 minutes Newmains looked to be getting into the game and hit the post from a deflected 20 yard shot off the shin of Rovers Watson.

The visitors were unlucky a minute later not to score an equaliser when they caught Rovers napping with a swift counter attack though Rovers keeper Cherrie closed down the time and space from a 1:1 and easily gathered the ball.

On the stroke of half time Rovers extended their lead when Weir released Biggart down the left wing who curled in a first time cross to the feet of Lafferty who calmly side footed the ball past the outstretched Meek into the net.

Half Time Rovers 2 Newmains Utd 0

Twelve minutes into the second half and a 35 yard pinpoint cross field pass from Larkin found Pettigrew on the right edge of the box who jinked past two defenders and crossed to the back post onto the head of Lafferty who bulletted a header towards goal only for Meek to parry the ball off the goal line to the feet of Cassidy who’s shot was blocked on the line by two opposition defenders.

Biggart heads home

Carluke scored their third goal of the afternoon on the hour mark when Pettigrew once mare outpaced his marker down the right wing and crossed to Biggart who made no mistake with a backpost header.

With ten minutes remaining Rovers made it 4-0 when Haley put the ball on a plate in front of goal only for Meek to save a Pettigrew strike with Sean McKenna reacting quickest to bury the ball into the back of the net from close range.

Match Report by Ian McKnight