Vale of Clyde FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

West Region League Two
Sat 15 September 2018
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Two horrendously incompetent refereeing decisions denied Rovers all three points against Vale of Clyde.

The home sides roughhouse tactics interspersed with niggling fouls were evident from the start when after four minutes Haley was wrestled to the ground as he turned his marker thirty yards from goal.

The resultant free kick was curled in by Biggart onto the head of Watson and tipped over the bar by the Vale keeper.

Rovers almost opened the scoring after fifteen minutes when a McGoldrick pass from the centre circle split the home defence wide open with the keepers legs saving a Lafferty goal bound shot.

The breakthrough eventually came for Rovers in the thirty fifth minute when Haley got on the end of a long through ball down the right wing with his cross finding Lafferty at the near post who fired the ball into the net from close range.

Half time – Vale of Clyde 0 Carluke Rovers 1

The second half was a stop start affair with frustration building in the Rovers camp with cynical fouls from Vale interrupting the flow of the game as they looked to maintain scant posession of the ball.

In the fifty third minute Vale won a corner which was headed clear of the box by Rovers centre back Dominic Chiedu.

The ball was struck into a ruck of players and only the referee saw it hit the elbow of Watson.

The penalty was converted and as Rovers looked to regroup at the restart a long ball out of the Vale defence was clearly controlled by the forearm of Vales centre forward inside the Rovers box who fired a half volley into the top left corner of the net.

To everyone in Fullarton Parks surprise the referee awarded the goal which incensed the whole Rovers entourage.

With Rovers 2-1 down they were reduced to ten men on the hour mark when a frustrated Watson was wreckless with a challenge on a Vale midfielder which resulted in a straight red card.

After a ten minute spell of intense Rovers pressure they were awarded a free kick directly in front of goal.

Kane smashed the kick off the wall with Biggart volleying the rebound towards the top right corner of the net only to see it palmed away by a Vale defender who received his marching orders for the wonder save.

Biggart bulletted the ball home from the penalty spot to make it 2-2 after 70 minutes.

Carluke were unlucky in the 75th minute when a free kick was headed home by Chris Dick who was adjudged to be offside.

Rovers hit the bar in the 80th minute when a Grierson cross was met by an overstretched Ross McNeil who could only guide the ball towards goal.

Full time Vale of Clyde 2 Carluke Rovers 2

Match Report by Ian McKnight