Carluke Rovers FC v Lesmahagow Juniors FC

Clydesdale Cup
Mon 29 July 2013
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report


Clydesdale Cup Final

In what was a shadow of last week’s semi-final Carluke Rovers eventually came out victorious to retain the Clydesdale cup against local rivals Lesmahagow Juniors, the match was slow to start with Carluke having the first chance after 7 mins when a good move down the left saw the ball end at the feet of ex Gow man Scott McGeachie but his net bound effort was helped on by Ian Watt who was in an offside position and the goal was chalked off.

Lesmahagow were next to threaten when a run down the right saw a good cross to the back post saw the end shot go just wide of Craig Brown’s goal. With chances few and far between it took until half way through the first half for the next effort on goal to come when a lay off from Gordon Murphy found Mark Haddow but his effort went wide of the goal.

Brown in the Rovers goal was called on to parry a Gow free kick past the post in 25 mins as the poor first half wore on. The last chance of the half fell to Carluke when Murphy set up Watt but a poor parting shot was easily saved.

Half Time Carluke Rovers 0 v 0 Lesmahagow FC.

Hamilton Scores

The second half saw both sides continue to be poor although Rovers did create a few half chances first being when Stephen Ferguson set Murphy clear on the left but his cross found no takers. Then a Watt free kick saw a soft header easily saved by the visiting keeper.

In 66 mins good work from Watt set Ferguson free and his lay off to McGeachie saw the big midfielders effort go just wide of the target, a minute later Lesmahagow took the lead when a simple move from the right ended with a cool finish that put them 1-0 up. This goal looked to have won the game for the visitors as the home side continued to be very poor but there was a twist to come when at last in the 83rd min Carluke put a bit of sustained pressure on the Gow defence when Good work on the left from Darren Hamilton and Murphy set up Watt on the right but his effort was saved at the expense of a corner.

The Champions

The resulting corner was swung in and Haddow saw his header cleared off the line before it was played back in from the right for Haddow to head in to the path of Hamilton who struck an equalising goal for the home side.

Better was to come a minute later when Murphy sent a good ball toward the Gow defence and with Hamilton putting pressure on he forced an error then controlled the ball before firing a low shot in to the net to put the home side 2-1 up. Carluke contained their visitors for the rest of the match and secured a second successive Clydesdale cup victory.