Nithsdale Wanderers FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

Sat 21 July 2012
Score: 0 - 5

Match Report

Despite a slow start the new look Rovers side ended with an excellent victory in this annual challenge match at Sanquhar.Carluke created chance after chance in the first half with Stuart Arnott having the first after a good passing movement set him up but a good save by the home keeper kept him at bay, this was followed by Arnott setting up another chance that Steven Ferguson just failed to connect with at the back post. Jamie Dickson and Arnott combined a few minutes later to set up new boy Ian Cook but his effort went well over the bar. Carluke took the lead in the 20th minute when MarkHaddow controlled the ball in the Nithsdale box before hitting an excellent chipped shot that sailed over the keeper for 1-0 to the visitors, this was followed by another chance for Arnottwho was set up by Andy Barr but he was again denied by a good block and the half time score was
Nithsdale 0 v 1 Carluke Rovers.

Carluke started the second half as they had ended the first by creating chances and they soon doubled their lead whenWillie Souter played in Ferguson who looked to have lost his chance but he harried the defender to win the ball back and placed a low shot in to the net for 2-0. The game was essentially killed off a few minutes later when Ferguson andHaddow combined to set up Stuart Grant and his well struck shot from 25 yards made it 3-0 to the visitors. The game continued to go in the Rovers favour and Haddow set up Cook in the 64th min but his excellent chipped effort despite deserving a goal struck the crossbar before going for a goal kick. In 76 mins Cook floated in a free kick which Haddowflicked on to the back post and that man Fergie followed up to knock the ball home from close range to put Carluke out of sight at 4-0, this was followed shortly after by an excellently worked goal when Grant controlled well in the middle of the park before setting up Dickson on the right and his flashing low shot found the far corner of the net for 5-0 to the visitors. Ferguson continued to look for his hat-trick in the latter stages of the match but was denied by a few good saves from the home keeper and the score stayed at 5-0