Lanark United FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

Central District First Division
Sat 13 April 2013
Score: 3 - 3

Match Report

This second local derby in succession saw another draw for the rovers of Carluke but it also meant they were undefeated against either Lanark or Lesmahagow with 2 wins and a draw against both sides. The match saw Lanark start brightest with Gavin McLachlan in the Rovers goal looking as if he was taking on Lanark single hands at time s as he brought off a couple of excellent saves from good Lanark moves, Lanark also missed a few chances after good lead up work deserved better finishes. It took until the 25th min for Carluke to register their first effort on goal which was a speculative chip from 40yards by Davy Gray but his effort was turned away for a corner by the Lanark keeper, this was quickly followed by a break which saw Ian Watt have a shot on goal but this brought a good save from the Lanark keeper and the scores stayed level. As the half wore on Lanark took the lead when a corner was not properly cleared by the Rovers defence and the loose ball was drilled home for 1-0 to the home side. Lanark doubled this lead in the 39th minute when poor defending by Rovers allowed an attack down the left and a good finish made it 2-0 to the home side. Carluke looked as if they were on the ropes at this point but they rallied and got a goal back when ex Lanark players Gordon Murphy and Stephen Ferguson linked up well before Murphy struck home with his right foot to the surprise of the Rovers support, an altercation in the goal mouth as the Lanark keeper refused to let Mark Weir get the ball quickly saw the keeper cautioned but weir was ordered off, Carluke however did not allow Lanark to settle and before they got their breath back Murphy sent a perfect ball wide on the left to another ex Lanark man Willie Souter who drilled the ball home for 2-2 a score that stood until half time.

The second half was a much less exciting spectacle as Lanark looked to have killed off any hope of Rovers getting anything from the match as they picked up on a Jamie Dickson error on the right before scoring what looked to be a decisive 3rd goal the game drifted along for big periods of the half with Lanark looking comfortable as Carluke created very little and Lanark made their extra man count but in a late rally Rovers forced a corner that lead to an clearance to the opposite side for another corner, this was a little more dangerous and a poor clearance fell to the foot of another ex Lanark man in Graywho hammered the ball home for 3-3 to round off the scoring for the day. Carluke lost another man after this goal when murphy got a second caution and this allowed Lanark to have a couple of half chances as the match drew to a close butagain McLachlan was up to anything they threw at him as he kept them at bay and the match ended in a 3-3 draw.