Lesmahagow Juniors FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

Central District First Division
Sat 6 April 2013
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

This match saw Carluke eventually get to play this match that had been postponed last month due to snow. The match started well for Carluke as they pressed the Gow back up the slope with Mark Weir setting up Gordon Murphy after 5 mins but the big midfielders effort was wide of target. Lesmahagow had their first effort on goal in the 12th min when a corner was poorly defended by the Rovers and as it was turned back in an overhead kick from Lesmahagow went just wide of the target. As the half wore on Ian Watt was finding space as Carluke attacked and in 16 mins a good run down the right from him saw him put in a good low cross but there were no takers as the ball went clear of the danger area. Rovers lost the services of top scorer Stuart Arnott at this point to injury and he was replaced by Darren Hamilton who himself was just coming back from a lengthy spell on the side lines. Watt had another chance as he brought off a fine save from the home keeper as he broke free in the inside right position, this was followed by the Gow’s best chance of the first half as ex Carluke man Chris Jarvie hit a shot off the post from close range. The chances for Carluke in the rest of the first half were limited to headers but the efforts from Willie Souter and the outstanding Craig Stark were dealt with by the home keeper and the first half ended goalless.

The second half started off better for the visiting Rovers when they took the lead in the 52nd minute, a free kick had been won on the Carluke right and this was swung in by Weir and Watt attacked the ball at the back post and his header ended in the net for 1-0 to the visitors. The visitors looked to increase this lead as Hamilton and watt linked up well but Watt was ruled off side and his effort would not have counted. 58 mins saw another effort from Carluke squandered when a Jamie Dickson corner was struck well past by Murphy. The match burst in to life in the 75th min when The Gow got back on level terms after poor defending by Carluke allowed them possession and a quick switch across the park saw them make the score 1-1. Rovers were quick to respond to this and Murphy linked up well with watt only for Murphy to be brought down but as the referee gave a free kick his assistant signalled for a penalty much to the joy of the visitors and the disgust of the home support, weir took the spot kick and drilled the ball home for 2-1 to the visitors. Carluke looked to be comfortable with this lead but a slip up in defence allowed James White in for Lesmahagow and his low effort beat McLachlan for a goal to the home side. The Rovers forced another chance at the back post in the dying seconds but this was not taken and the match ended all square at 2-2.