Port Glasgow Juniors FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

Central District First Division
Sat 20 April 2013
Score: 2 - 4

Match Report

20130420_0237 The Rovers again struggled to put together a team for this match due to Injury, Illness, Suspensions and other commitments and to come away with three points showed great character from the players involved. The match started with Port Glasgow putting Carluke under pressure from the kick off playing with a strong wind at their backs and it took a great tip over the bar from rovers keeper Gavin McLachlan to keep the scores level at 0-0. The Rovers first chance was created after 6 mins when Stephen Ferguson linked up well with the returning Darren Hamilton but Ferguson fluffed his final shot which went wide of the post. Rovers were not to be denied for long though and took the lead when a throw in found Craig Stark and he linked up well with Ian Watt on the right before Watt put in a good low cross which was met by Ferguson at the front post and his finish found the corner of the net for 1-0 to the visitors. This goal was quickly followed by chances for Davy Gray and Watt that were not taken before Port Glasgow had another effort well saved by McLachlan in the Rovers goal. The visitors lead was doubled in the 27th min when Hamilton laid the ball in to the path of Willie Souter whose shot was blocked to Ferguson whop also saw his effort blocked before the ball fell to Hamilton who turned and drilled the ball low in to the net for 2-0. Port Glasgow got a goal back in the 34th min when slackness in the Rovers defence allowed space on the edge of the penalty area and a low shot found the net for 2-1, as half time approached the home side thought they had drawn level only for the referee to indicate a foul on McLachlan in the Rovers goal and half time saw a score of Port Glasgow 1 v 2 Carluke Rovers.

20130420_0882The second half was less than a minute old when Gray sent a good ball over the Port Glasgow defence and Watt was quickest to the ball and sent an excellent chip over the advancing keeper for a 3-1 cushion to the visiting Carluke Rovers. The second goal for the home side came when Gray looked to have put in a perfect challenge in the box but the ref saw it differently and gave a penalty kick which was put away to give a bit of hope for the home side at 3-2. The scoring was ended in the 75th min when a free kick was put in by Watt from the left and Stevie Jackson looked to have got the last touch before the ball ended in the net for 4-2 to Carluke Rovers. Rovers finshed strongly after this with Gray and Souter combining to set up Jamie Dickson but his effort went over the bar then a break down the right saw Dan Napier in on goal but his chipped effort came back off the bar before being cleared. All in all these were three great points for the Rovers considering the lack of numbers they had and the injuries they sustained during the match that forced them in to putting Greg McFarlane on for his first match in two years as injury forced Ferguson to come off the park.