Carluke Rovers FC v St Roch's FC

Central District First Division
Sat 27 April 2013
Score: 1 - 0

Match Report

Carluke did the league double over St Rochs on Saturday in this their penultimate home fixture of the 2012/2013 season. On a perfect day for football with the sun shining and no wind at all this should have been an ideal opportunity for good football from the home side but they made heavy weather of the first half at least. It was the visitors who broke well in the first minute and it took a good save from Gavin McLachlanin the Rovers goal to keep the scores at 0-0. It took until the 22nd min for the home side to even build a decent move as pass after pass went astray through the whole side, this came when Stephen Ferguson set Ian Watt free but his effort was wide of the post. Two minutes later a good break ended with Darren Hamilton having a shot but this was well over the bar and again did not bring out a save from the visiting keeper. The poor finishing continued in the 31st min when Good work from Craig Stark set up Jamie Dickson in the penalty area but after beating two Rochs defenders his finishing effort went well over the bar. The 35th min saw the chance of the first half forCarluke when Stark set up Watt who in turn played in Dickson but somehow his effort went wide of the post. A minute later Rovers had a free kick mid way in the St Rochshalf but they contrived to lose the ball, and St Rochs broke up field before McLachlan brought off another fine save to keep the scores level. The poor finishing of the first half forCarluke was summed up in 41 mins when a great ball from Stark found Dickson but again his effort went over the bar.

Fergie scores the winner

The second half started better for Rovers when they at last made the visiting keeper make a save when Watt broke down the right but his weak effort was easily saved. The deadlock was finally broken in the 52nd min when Watt set Stark free on the left but his well struck shot was well saved at the expense of a corner, this was well worked and ended with Watt sending in an excellent cross which met by the head of Stephen Ferguson to head home for 1-0 to the home side. This spurred on the home side and Watt and Hamilton linked well to set up Ferguson but his effort brought out a great save from the visiting keeper. The 60th min however saw the save of the match when poor Rovers defending allowed St Rochs to set the ball to the back post when their winger looked certain to score but his effort was somehow tipped round the post by McLachlan to keep the home sides lead intact. Rovers continued to press to increase their leads and Watt broke down the right before cutting inside and unleashing a great shot which brought out an equally good save from the StRochs keeper. The final effort came when Stark set up Murphy on the left but his effort was again saved by the StRochs keeper. These three points keep Rovers in 5th spot in the league but there are teams who are breathing down their necks as they strive to finish as high up the league as they can.