Benburb FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

Central District First Division
Sat 4 May 2013
Score: 1 - 3

Match Report

In what turned out to be an eventful match Carluke Rovers picked up another three points in Glasgow on Saturday. The game started with The Rovers playing with a strong wind behind them but this did not prevent them from trying to play good football. In the 4th min man of the match Gordon Murphy fired over the bar then a minute later Stuart Arnott saw a free kick saved by the home keeper. Carluke did not have things their own way though and it took a good save from Gavin McLachlan in their goal to keep the scores level after 11 mins when Benburb worked a good free kick. 17 mins saw a Mark Weir free kick eventually fall to Jamie Dickson but his effort struck Arnott on the way towards goal and the ball was eventually cleared. Carlukes luck held again in the 21st min when a shot after a corner hit McLachlans post before crossing the goal and going out for a goal kick. The best move of the first half saw Carluke move the ball from right to left through the mid field in 26 mins ending with Willie Souter hitting a great shot that was well saved by the Benburb keeper. Carluke had a penalty claim turned down in the 28th min before another chance fell to the home side but the visitors took the lead in the last minute of the half when Souter and Mark Haddow worked well on the left before the was sent in to the box for Stephen Ferguson to stab home the only goal of the first half.

The second half saw the home side with the wind at their backs bombard the Rovers goal with an effort in the 46th min going just past the post. Then in 65 mins they saw an effort strike the post again before landing to a Benburb player but a great save from McLachlan kept the score at 1-0 to the visitors. the Rovers cause was not helped in the 70th min when they were reduced to 10 men when Arnott was sent off after a second caution but their defence continued to keep up the resistance to attack after attack before they showed what counter attacking is all about when Murphy was set free on the left in the 79th min and after great close control he played a good ball across goal that found Dickson and a superb low finish found the corner of the net for 2-0 to the Rovers, Murphy was again involved in the 86th min when he set up a good chance for sub Mark Reid but his effort was blocked on route to goal. Carluke looked to have wrapped the game up in the 91st min when Ferguson set Murphy free at the back post and his cool low finish made it 3-0 but Ferguson was then sent off as play resumed leaving the Rovers to play out an added 8 mins with only 9 men. In the 93rd min Bens got a lifeline when a free kick saw a chance and a poor header found the net to give them hope at 3-1, their chances of a comeback looked better in the 96th min when they were awarded a penalty but a superb save from McLachlan saw the score stay at 3-1 to Carluke, the visitors managed to see the rest of the match out without incident and come away with a fine second win over their hosts of the season.