Shettleston FC vs Carluke Rovers FC

Central District First Division
Sat 29 March 2014
Score: 3 - 4

Match Report

Carluke got another game under their belt on Saturday on a heavy Shettleston park and came away with three points in what was at times a scrappy game, but these three points opened up a gap at the top of the table for The Rovers.

The early part of the match was end to end with Rovers carving out the first chance when a ball in from Stevie Murray was knocked on by Greg Cavanagh to Gordon Murphy but his shot was easily saved by the home keeper.

The 5th min saw Shettleston have their first chance when a free kick in was misjudged by Gavin McLachlan and it took a double clearance by Davy Gray the second of which was off the line to keep the scores level, this was quickly followed by another shot from the home side which struck the bar as Rovers rode their luck.

Carluke eventually steadied the ship and got a grip on the match and took the lead in the 20th min when a ball from McLachlan was controlled well by Cavanagh before he laid the ball in to the path of Ian Watt on the right and after a few strides forward Watt drilled an excellent finish in to the far corner of the net for 1-0.

Rovers took heart from this and with Cavanagh and Stuart Arnott linking well they created a few chances before doubling their lead in the 36th min when good work from Arnott in holding off his marker allowed Watt the space to strike a superb second goal for him and Carluke over the head of a despairing Shettleston keeper from 20 yards.

This goal should have seen the Rovers in 2-0 up at half time especially as the home side lost a man who was ordered off for two cautions in quick succession for fouls on Stephen Ferguson but poor defending in the 3rd min of stoppage time allowed Shettleston to level with a good finish at the back post after a free kick was not cleared.

Half time Shettleston FC 1 v 2 Carluke Rovers.

The second half took time to settle down and it was the visiting Rovers who got the first goal of the half when a corner from the right was drilled home from close range by Arnott for 3-1 after 56 mins.

Rovers tried hard to stretch this lead further and had chances in 62 and 63 mins but a weak effort from McGeachie and a great save from a Mark Weir effort kept the score at 3-1.

Despite their man advantage Carluke were inviting the home side to attack and were limited to hitting on the break and it was no surprise when Shettleston got a goal back in the 68th min whn McLachlan came out of his goal but somehow lost the ball allowing the home side in on the left and a low cross was driven in to the net for 3-2.

Carluke tried hard to hit on the break and had a good chance when Ferguson set Marc Napier free on the right but the midfielders shot went across goal before going just wide of the far post.

Shettleston continued to press Rovers back with the wind at their backs and got on level terms in the 77th min when a ball in from the left was not defended by Rovers and their impressive centre forward lost his marker at the back post before heading home for 3-3.

The Rovers defence was now under pressure and it looked as if there would only be on winner but excellent work from Murray and Gray kept the scores level.

Carluke tried to get a foot hold in the match and won a corner in the 85th min which when swung in from the left was met by Gray at the back post and his header was too strong for the home keeper to stop on its way in to the net for 4-3 to the visitors.

Shettleston pushed for another equaliser but Rovers held out for an excellent hard fought victory.