Carluke Rovers FC v Lugar Boswell Thistle

Sat 25 January 2014
Score: 3 - 3

Match Report

Carluke entertained their Ayrshire rivals in this friendly on Saturday in what was an end to end match played in cold and windy conditions at John Cumming Stadium Carluke.

The home side made the first of the chances when Stuart Arnott played the ball in to the path of Dean Kindlan but his effort was easily saved then new Signing John Kane set Ian Watt free on the right and as he got in to the box after leaving opponents in his wake he laid the ball to Arnott who missed his shot but the ball ran to Mark Haddow but his effort went well oveer the bar.

Lugar showed that theey were a side to be reckoned with as they broke clear in the 8th minbut a foul by Keeper Gavin McLachlan halted their progress at the expense of a caution for the home keeper, the resultant free kick went just wide of the post.

The visitors took the lead in the 10th min when Carluke expected a goal kick to be given but thee ball did not go out and as the Rovers defence stopped Lugar kept going and a good cut back was stabbed home for 1-0 to the visitors.

The home side controlled most of the first half after this set back and continued to make chances but took none of them until they won a corner in the 39th min, this was played in by Watt and Haddow was quickest to react as he drove the ball home for 1-1.

Carluke had a chance to go in front on the stroke of half time when Arnott was played in by Watt but as the ball looked to be heading for the postage stamp corner the Lugar keeper brought off a fine save to keep the scores level at half time.

The second half of the match was a bit more scrappy as the weather deteriorated and the play suffered.

Carluke had made eight changes at the break which completely altereded the match but they started well with Gregg Cavanagh having an effort cleared early on then he played the ball in for Darren Hamilton but his effort was cleared.

Lugars best effort in the early parta of the second half came from a free kick but Craig Brown in the Rovers goal saved well.

The latter part of the half saw a glut of goals when first Lugar took the lead for the second time when poor defending allowed them in for 2-1 but Rovers replied in the 86th min when a long ball from Dan Napier found Gordon Murphy and his cool finish made it 2-2, that looked as if it would spur Rovers on to go for the winner but instead tthey lost another goal in the 88th min after a Lugar break.

Rovers replied in the right way though as they pushed for yet another equaliser which they got in the fianl minute wwhen Murphy was again free on the left and his effort deceived the lugar keeper to end in the net for a final score of 3-3.