Sat 30 July 2016
Score: 1 - 3

Match Report

This match was overshadowed by a horror double leg break suffered by Livingston United central midfielder early in the match and the rest of the match was played in a subdued fashion.

Carluke started the match well and went a goal up in the second minute when an excellent ball from Mark Haddow found Jamie Dickson on the right and his early cross was stabbed home by Lewis McDougall for 1-0 to the visitors.

The match was halted for a long spell in the 12th minute when United’s midfielder suffered his injury and after the restart it took a while for both teams to get in to the match but Carluke probably had the best of the possession for long spells.

The visiting Rovers doubled their lead in the 22nd min when Mark Cassidy was brought down in the box at the expense of a penalty to Carluke and Mark Weir made his usual job of scoring from the spot to make the score 2-0.

Livingston had a couple of chances to get a goal back on the run up to half time as they put a good scoring chance wide of the post before they then hit the post with Gordon Bruce in the Rovers goal gratefully collecting the ball at the second attempt.

With time running out in the half Carluke forced a corner which saw Haddow bring a fine save out of the home keeper who tipped his header over the bar.

Half time Livingston United 0 v 2 Carluke Rovers.

The second half was only a couple of minutes old when Livingston pulled a goal back after good work on the right and a cut in to the box brought a good save from Daniel Tobin in the Rovers goal but the rebound was knocked home from close range for 2-1.

Utd had a good spell for a few minutes from this point before Carluke took control of what was left of the match and ran out
quite comfortable winners.

Carluke’s Stuart Mitchell and Ally Graham linked up well on the right in 50 mins before Mitchell saw his final shot go weakly
past the post before Cassidy set up Mitchell again with some strong play in the middle of the park but despite a better final shot from Mitchell in had the same end result as the ball again went wide.

Rovers did get a third goal in the 65th min when Cassidy again linked up well with Mitchell on the right and a great burst of pace saw him outstrip his opponent before cutting in to the box a playing a good ball across goal to the back post where Stuart Macvicar was on hand to fire home for 3-1 a score that stood until the end of the match.

Rovers team
Bruce(Tobin), Gordon, Lowdon, Wilson, Dickson(Mitchell), Haddow(Munn), Graham, Weir(Macvicar), Watt, McDougall(Fearney), Cassidy.

Match Report by Craig Martin