Central District First Division
Sat 14 September 2013
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Carluke Rovers came out of the traps at pace on Saturday and caused Larkie problems right from the start but found themselves on the wrong side of a 2-1 score line at half time.

In the 4th min Ian Watt was fouled in the middle of the park and comeback man Mark Weir took the Rovers free kick but saw his effort fly just over the bar. The 6th min saw Rovers take the lead when keeper Craig Brown played a ball which was knocked on by Stephen Ferguson to Watt before he laid the ball in to Gordon Murphy who hit an unstoppable shot low in to the home net to make it 1-0 to Carluke.

The problem for Rovers came less than a minute later when a quick break saw Larkie win a penalty after a poor header out was played back in to the Rovers box, this was scored to level the match at 1-1. Carluke reacted well from this set back and after a throw in Murphy was unlucky to see his shot go wide then after a Murphy free kick Stuart Arnott saw his effort come back off the post but he was adjudged to have been off side.

As Carluke pressed they won a corner which saw Craig Stark head towards goal but his effort was cleared off the line at the expense of another corner but this was played in poorly and another quick break from Larkhall saw them score from a suspiciously off side looking position to make it 2-1 to the home side.

This set back only spurred Rovers on as they continued to attack whenever possible with good work from Arnott after a throw in setting Stark free who in turn played in Ferguson but his excellent shot brought out an equally good save from the home keeper. In the 28th min Rovers keeper Brown brought off a rare save from a Larkie effort before Murphy set Watt free on the right and as he cut inside he unleashed a great shot that saw the Larkie keeper bring off another fine save.

The second half saw Rovers continue where they left off in the first pressing Larkhall back and in the first minute of the half Craig Stewart set Watt free on the right but after cutting inside his effort went wide of the target, then a weak Stark header was dealt with and a Weir lay off to Ferguson brought off another good save from the home keeper.

As the hour mark approached Murphy set Watt free on the right and after a good run he put in a perfect cross to the back post for Ferguson who put a great header across the keeper to score an equalising goal for the Rovers.

Better was to follow less than a minute later when Watt again picked up the ball on the right and after beating three defenders on his way to the bye line he then cut a great ball across goal for top scorer Arnott to put Rovers in front for the second time in the match at 3-2 after 60 mins.

Carluke continued to press for the rest of the match as they limited Larkie to very few chances after breakaways and the victory was practically sealed after 75 mins when Larkie were reduced to ten men after a horror challenge on the impressive Ferguson.

Rovers had some big performances from all sections of the team as they got this victory that sees them clear at the top of the league.