Clydesdale Cup
Mon 25 July 2016
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Rovers travelled the short distance to Lanark for this cup tie and despite putting In a good performance they ended up losing on penalties.

The match was slow to start with neither side imposing themselves on the game and chances were few and far between early on.

Carlukes first attack saw Lewis McDougall send Stuart Mitchell free on the right but his low cross was cut out by the Lanark defence and it took until the 20th min to have their first shot in earnest when Chick McCole tried his luck but his effort was well wide of the target.

Lanark had a chance of their own a few minutes later when a free kick found its way to ex Rovers man Gordon Murphy but his shot on target was blocked by the Carluke defence.

Rovers rounded off the half with a couple of chances when a Mark Weir free kick was headed just wide by Mark Haddow then a Weir run set up McDougall but his chipped effort was saved by the home keeper.

Half time Lanark Utd 0 v 0 Carluke Rovers.

The second half was only minutes old when Rovers produced the best move of the match when good work from Ian Watt on the right ended with a perfect cross to find the head of McDougall who put the visitors 1-0 up.

As the second half wore on Lanark started to get in to the match and started to push Carluke back a bit and Carluke were now hitting on the break, and the best chance they had to double their lead came in the 62nd min when a Weir run saw him round the home keeper but he slipped at the crucial moment and his weak shot was cleared.

Lanark drew level in the 69th min when their pressure paid off as a ball over the top saw their centre forward round Dan Tobin in the Rovers goal before scoring from a tight angle for 1-1.

There were few chances in the remainder of the match with Rovers best coming from a shot from distance from Ally Graham binging out a good save and Lanark having a header over the bar from a corner.

Final Score Lanark Utd 1 v 1 Carluke Rovers.

The penalty shoot out proved a non event for Rovers when they saw their first two penalties saved with only Dale Gordon registering a score but Lanark Made no mistake with theirs and ran out 4-1 winners.

Rovers team.
Tobin, Gordon, Gray, Wilson, Mitchell(Munn), McCole(Graham), Haddow, Weir(Dickson), Watt, McDougall.

Match Report by Craig Martin