Central District First Division
Sat 1 February 2014
Score: 0 - 5

Match Report

This win restored Carluke to the top of the league again but was harder fought than the score line suggests.

The home side put Carluke under pressure with a break in the 1st minute but a slip by the Perthshire forward saw the chance lost.

Carluke reacted to this in the best way by taking the lead after 6 mins when a throw in to Stuart Arnott on the right led to a cross to the back post where Stevie Murray was on hand to direct an excellent header in to the Perthshire net for 1-0.

Carluke were well on top early in the first half and made a few chances with Arnott having a shot well saved in 16 mins then Gordon Murphy saw a weak effort comfortably saved by the home keeper a few minutes later but the best chance to increase the lead came when Mark Weir set up Dean Kindlan but his effort came back off the bar before being cleared, Murray then had a wee chance of getting his and Carlukes second of the day but his tap towards goal posed little threat and the half time score was Perthshire 0 v 1 Carluke Rovers.

The second half saw an early chance for Ian Watt but the Rovers strikers shot was well saved in 49 mins.

Perthshire had their best effort of the half in the 50th min but Gavin McLachlan in the Rovers goal was equal to the shot to keep the visitors lead intact.

Watt had another chance in the 51st min after being set up by man of the match Craig Stark but his low drive was well saved.

The match was poor for long spells in the half as the heavy park took its toll on the legs and it took a fresh injection of pace in the form of sub Greg Cavanagh to change the game as he set up the second goal for Rovers minutes after coming on, the big striker took the ball down the left before beating two defenders and cutting the ball back in to the path of Watt who finished high in to the net for 2-0 in 76 mins, this was quickly followed by another in the 77th min when Watt set Weir free on the left and after beating the Perthshire defence he laid ball to Kindlan who rammed it home for 3-0.

Cavanagh was involved again in the 80th min when he was upended in the box after another good run at the expense of a penalty to Carluke but Weir put his effort well over the bar and the score stayed at 3-0.

The game was wrapped up in the 85th min when Murphy played Cavanagh in and he rounded the home keeper before coolly slotting home for 4-0 to The Rovers.

The final goal game in the 87th min when Murphy set the ball to the back post from the left and a John Kane shot was deflected in to the net for a final score of 5-0 to Carluke.