Central District Second Division
Sat 29 October 2016
Score: 6 - 1

Match Report

What looks and in fact was a hammering for Rovers could have been so much different but for a complete last 10 minute collapse after also having a player ordered off after 72 minutes.

The day started brightly for Carluke when they took the game to high flying Gartcairn and they saw an effort from a Mark Weir free kick strike the post in the 1st minute after Chick McCole had been upended 30 yards out.

This was quickly followed by an attack from Gartcairn but a good save from Daniel Tobin in the Rovers goal kept the scores level after a header looked net bound.

Rovers took the lead in the 6th minute when a cross field pass from Weir found Stuart Mitchell who beat his marker before feeding the ball to Ian Watt who hit a low shot from 25 yards to open the score at 1-0 to Carluke.

Rovers looked to increase this lead quickly when Watt turned provider with a ball in to Greg Fernie but the attacker just missed a back post header from close range before Weir as well played Fernie in but a miss hit shot went wide of the post.

Carluke were on the front foot and earned three corners in quick succession that caused panic in the home defence with the last one ending with a Jonny Wilson shot from 30 yards that was deflected wide.

Rovers created and squandered further chances for Watt and McCole as the half wore on but none were taken before the home side ended the half on a high with Reece Lowdon in the Rovers defence had to make a couple of excellent blocks to allow Carluke to go in with a 1-0 lead at half time.

The second half was a slower starter and it took until the 57th min for Gartcairn to produce the first chance of the half when a low ball across was just missed by the centre forward.

Probably the last chance that Rovers produced in the match came as early as the 60th min when another Weir free kick from the edge of the box was just wide of target to prevent Carluke going to a two goal lead.

The levelling goal came in the 71st min with Rovers looking for an off side that did not come but Gartcairn broke down the left before a low finish made it 1-1.

Protests about the lack of an off side decision led to the ordering off of Rovers Jonny Wilson to make a hard task even harder for Carluke to take anything from the match.

The home side took the lead for the first time in the 80th min when Rovers lost possession in midfield and they broke before another good finish made it 2-1.

A 3rd goal for Gartcairn followed in 84 mins when a hopeful shot from 30 yards saw Tobin try to puch the ball clear but it spun off his glove to end in the net for 3-1, this was the start of a total capitulation by Carluke and they lost further goals in 86 90 and 92 minutes to leave them on the embarrassing end of a 6-1 scoreline.

Rovers team
Tobin, Burns, Lowdon, Renwick, Biggart, Mitchell, McCole, Wilson, Weir(Duncan), Watt(McDougall), Fernie.

Match Report by Craig Martin