Euroscot Engineering League Cup Section
Sat 8 August 2015
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Carlukes failure to take a host of first half chances came back to haunt them in this sectional league cup match.

The visitors first chance came from an Ian Watt free kick that was comfortably saved by the home keeper, this was followed by good work from Gary Gow to win possession then feeding Ryan Smillie on the left but his final ball in to the danger area found no takers.

Gartcairn saw a long range effort come back off a Carluke post in a rare attack in the 22nd min and Carluke keeper Jonny Grier was quick to react to block a shot from the loose ball.

Rovers looked to have taken the lead in the 24th min when Lewis Hill drove the ball home after good work from Watt but the referee drew play back to award a free kick to Carluke an error of judgement he later owned up to and the free kick came to nothing.

Rovers then saw a chance set up by Hill for Smillie that brought another good save from the home keeper then Greig Cavanagh also saw an effort stopped before he then had a header come back off the bar from a Mark Weir corner.

The deadlock was broken in the 37th min with a good move through the Rovers midfield with Smillie feeding Cavanagh who in turn laid an excellent ball in to the path of Watt who coolly finished under the home keeper for 1-0.

Rovers had hoped to take a lead in at half time but they lost a goal in the 2nd minute of stoppage time when a good through ball was chipped over an advancing Grier for a half time score of 1-1.

The second half saw Carluke fail to turn up for most of it and they survived a couple of penalty shouts from Gartcairn early on as the home side dominated the match.

The best chance for Rovers came from a Watt corner in the 65th min but there were no Carluke players close enough to prod the ball home as it bounced around the six yard box and the danger was eventually cleared.

Carlukes only other chances of the half were limited to a couple of wild efforts by Watt as they struggled to get any decent attacks going.

The winning goal came in the 88th min when a soft penalty was awarded to the home side after a Gordon Murphy challenge and this was duly dispatched past Grier for a final 2-1 score.

Match Report by Craig Martin