Central District Second Division
Sat 18 November 2017
Score: 7 - 0

Match Report

Carluke Rovers made it two wins from two league matches under their new management team following an impressive 7-0 home win against visitors Newmains Utd.

Rovers established an extremely fast paced and penetrating passing game from kick off and largely dominated possession throughout the first half and after a mere ninety seconds left back Gary Gow sent Sam Biggart off on an early run down the left wing where his cross to the back post found James Martin who fired a first time volley against the post from close range.

Thirty seconds later Biggart again found space on the left and supplied another tantalising cross into the box with striker Ian Watt just failing to make contact with the ball in front of an empty looking goal.

On five minutes Rovers opened the scoring when winger James Martin curled in a thirty yard cross come shot from the left wing into the postage stamp corner of the net.

Martin scored his second two minutes later following a neatly linked one two with Ian Watt on the edge of the box who’s reverse pass set up a simple side foot shot into the net.

On fourteen minutes Watt again acted as provider to Mark Cassidy when they combined with another slick one two move inside the box only for the Newmains keeper to smother Cassidy’s lettuce leaf left foot trundler.

Rovers went 3-0 up after twenty minutes when a Cassidy cross from the left found Watt on the penalty spot unmarked to head the ball home.

Watt scored again on the half hour mark when Greg Kane neatly chipped the ball over the Newmains back line as they attempted to spring an offside trap only for Watt to show his alertness by sprinting in on goal and cheekily dink the ball over the keepers head from 12 yards.

On forty minutes Mark Cassidy raced onto an inch perfect thru – pass from Kane on the halfway line to find himself one on one with the keeper.

His unconvincing side foot shot squirmed past the post as he looked to be in two minds as the keeper advanced to avoid being rounded.Just before half time Watt scored his hat trick to make it 5-0 when James Martin out sprinted and jinked his way past three defenders to the by-line where his cut back found his team mate waiting in the middle of the goal for a four yard tap in.

In the second half Rovers seemed to drop a gear and after 60 mins made 3 substitutions bringing on the fresh legs of Mark Weir, Alberto Vezza and Ryan Farrell for Biggart, Renwick and Cassidy.

Striker Ian Watt scored his fourth and fifth goals of the afternoon in quick succession on 65 and 70 minutes running onto defense splitting passes by Kane and Weir respectively to calmly side foot the ball past the deflated keeper on each occasion.

Rovers look resurgent just now and face table toppers Royal Albert in an away league fixture on Saturday.

Match Report by Ian McKnight