Sat 26 November 2016
Score: 5 - 4

Match Report

After the cancellation of their league fixture away to St Anthony’s Rovers hastily arranged a friendly match against near neighbours Lesmahagow and despite making enough chances to win three games they eventually had to settle for a win by the odd goal in nine.

Carluke were on the attack almost from the kick off and created chances for Ian Watt and Lewis McDougall early on before they eventually opened the scoring in 15 mins when a driving run from half way saw Chick McCole split the Gow defence before placing the ball wide of Leishman for 1-0 to the home side.

Greg Fernie was next to have an effort saved by the visiting keeper and another effort just wide before he eventually doubled the Rovers lead when he pounced on a poor clearance by the Gow defence to make it 2-0 after half an hours play.

Lesmahagows best chance of the first half came a couple of minutes later but Dan Tobin brought off an excellent save to keeper the home lead at two then they missed a chance when they looked certain to score before Carluke got a third goal as the half was almost over, left back Sam Biggart won a corner which was played in low by Watt for Mark Weir  but his shot was blocked before ending up at Scott Burns who rifled a pile driver of a shot in to the Gow net for a 3-0 half time lead for Carluke.

The second half saw Carluke continue to control the match and they got a 4th goal with the move of the match when a Crossfield ball from Weir found McDougall who linked up with Jonny Wilson before setting Watt free on the right, after beating his marker Watt cut the ball back in to the path of the man who had started the move Mark Weir who drilled the ball home for 4-0 after 50 mins.

The game should have been out of sight of the visitors in the 65th min when Carluke made it 5-0 when good work again from Watt allowed John Renwick to get a shot in which was blocked but only in to the path of Mark Haddow who struck home a good low finish.

The Gow fightback started in the 75th min when after a good break Currie made it 5-1 with what looked like a consolation goal but as the game drew to a close the home side allowed Clark to score in the 86th min after a poor clearance then two goals in the last minute put a completely different look to the result, first a poor pass back allowed Boylan to make it 5-3 then McKenna rounded off the scoring at 5-4.

Match Report by Craig Martin