New Coin Holdings West of Scotland Cup
Sat 10 October 2015
Score: 2 - 6

Match Report

Rovers were under pressure from the off in this match with the visitors scoring within 90 seconds when a hopeful ball across goal pin ponged about before ending in the home net for 1-0 to Kirky.

This lead could have been doubled in 5mins when Mark Haddow looked to have been fouled but plat carried on and only a clearance off the line by Scott Bellew kept it at 1-0.

Gordon Bruce in the home goal was a busy man for a period before he was eventually beaten again in the 16th min this time by a blatant hand ball that had the final touch that made it 2-0 to Kirky.

The task for the home side was even more difficult after 27 mins when a long range effort made it 3-0 to the visitors before Carluke eventually got themselves in to the match with a couple of attacks on the Rob Roy goal with Lewis Hill linking up with Ian Watt but his shot was wide of target.

From this miss Rob Roy went on the attack and another good goal made it 4-0 in 29 mins.

The goals were coming thick and fast at this stage and Rovers got the next a minute later when the ball fell to Hill who placed a low drive wide of the Rob Roy keeper for 4-1.

Rovers had a couple of chances to reduce the deficit as the half drew to a close with a good run from Jordan Lithgow setting Watt free but his effort was again just wide in 32 mins then Mark Weir and Hill linked up to again set up Watt but with the home side looking for a penalty that was not given the move ended with only a corner.

The second half saw Rob Roy continue to press and a wee lucky break gave them a 5th goal in 56 mins when a shot came off the post landing nicely for their centre half who prodded home for 5-1.

Rovers second goal of the match came in 57 mins when Watt put a good free kick in to the Rob Roy area and Lewis McDougall saw an excellent header well saved by the visiting keeper but Hill was quickest to react at the back post and stabbed home his and Carlukes second of the day.

The scoring for the day was rounded off in 79 mins when a Rob Roy cross was poorly defended by Carluke and a close range finish made it 6-2.

Rovers made a few chances in the later stages of the match with the best of them coming when Watt broke down the right and cut the ball back in to the path of Chick McCole but his effort struck the post before being cleared in the 85th min.

Rovers team
Bruce, Bellew, Haddow, Stark, Lithgow, McDougall, McCole, Murphy, Hill(Thomson), Weir, Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin