Sat 8 July 2017
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Rovers started their pre season with a tough opponent in Glencairn and put in a good account of themselves with only five of last seasons side in the line up.

Newly appointed assistant manager Spike McNeish was in charge of the squad today in the absence of holidaymaking manager Colin Slater and can only be pleased with the outcome after facing a side two leagues above Carluke.

Carluke found it hard to pin their opponents down early on and gave away a free kick in a dangerous position inside 2 minutes and they were 1-0 down when this was fired home by McKay.

The home side did manage to fine their feet though and levelled the match in 7 mins when Greg Kane set Ian Watt in on goal, he was bundled over in the box at the expense of a penalty which Watt himself took and scored comfortably for 1-1.

The sides were a match for each other in this half with attempts on goal at a premium, the visitors did have the next chance when McKay broke on the right but Reece Murray in the home goal managed to turn the ball away for a corner.

Rovers next chance again fell to last years top scorer Watt in the 34th min when he met a good ball in with a header but his effort went wide of the post.

Glencairn thought they were going in in front at half time as they pressed Carluke back but an excellent stop from Murray and a goal line clearance from Rovers new signing Aldin El-Zubaidi kept the scores level.

Half time Carluke Rovers 1 v 1 Rutherglen Glencairn.

Carluke started the second half better and from a break involving Kane and Andy Dunn they forced a corner in 48 mins, this was cleared but only as far as James Martin who fired an effort from 30 yards that was tipped on to the bar by the visiting keeper before he saved at the second attempt.

Another good chance came for the home side when Kane broke on the right but he saw his parting shot deflected over the bar for another corner that came to nothing.

The game was opening up now and Rovers next chance came when Scott Blacklaw cut back a cross from the right in to the path of Mark Haddow but his shot was blocked.

The visitors managed to get their noses in front in the 72nd min when a good break on the left ended with a driven ball across goal which keeper David Thomson and Garry Gow both tried to clear but they only succeeded in allowing the ball in to the path of ex Rovers man Stewart Hall who tapped home for 2-1 to Glencairn.

This lead did not last long however as Carluke forced a corner which was cleared at the expense of another from the same side which was put in to the back post where El-Zubaidi out jumped everybody to head home for 2-2.

Rovers second half keeper Thomson was called in to action to make a double save as the visitors looked to win the match but they were unable to beat the keeper.

The final chance came for Carluke when Kane and Dunn again linked up but after a good turn Dunns shot was blocked.

Carluke fielded a number of younger players today as well as new signings with none of them looking to be out of their depth and all looking capable of offering something to the side for the forthcoming season.

Final score Carluke Rovers 2 v 2 Rutherglen Glencairn.

Carluke team.
Murray(Thomson), Renwick, Lowdon(Lambie), El-Zubaidi, Gow, Browning(Dunn),Haddow, Kane, Martin(Blacklaw), Cassidy(McNeish), Watt.

Match Report by Craig Martin