Central District First Division
Sat 19 September 2015
Score: 1 - 3

Match Report

Rovers should have taken the lead in the first minute of this match with a good flick on from Chick McCole in to the path of Ryan Smillie who outstripped his marker but his parting shot was saved by the Rossvale keeper.

The home side had another chance a few minutes later when Ian Watt showed good strength to win the ball on the left before bearing down on goal but again the visiting keeper turned his effort away for a corner which when played in found Stevie Murray but his effort was blocked on the line then cleared.

As seems to be the case the visitors took the lead with their first attack of note when they were allowed to progress on the right and a low ball in to the Rovers goal was turned in to his own net by the unfortunate McCole for 1-0 to Rossvale.

Chances fell to the home side in 33 mins when McCole set Watt free but hi cross was cleared then in 36 mins a loose ball fell to Watt but his effort was put wide.

Rovers were dealt a cruel blow in the 38th min when Rossvale won a very soft penalty which was scored for 2-0.

Mark Haddow made Rovers next chance as half time drew nearer when he set Watt free and his low ball looked to have picked out Smillie but the ball was cleared and the half time score was 2-0 to the visitors.

Rovers came out looking to get back in to the match in the second half and seconds in McCole worked well down the right before cutting the ball back for Smillie but his effort was blocked before Haddow had a shot on goal also blocked with Rovers looking for a penalty that was not given.

Another golden chance went a-begging for Rovers in 55 mins when Murray set Smillie free but again the visiting keeper blocked the effort.

Carluke had all the pressure as the game went on but only had a half chance from Watt to show for their efforts until they got a goal back in the 76th min when Lewis McDougall fed Haddow who in turn played an excellent ball to Mark Weir at the back post who steadied himself before firing a great goal to put Rovers back in it at 2-1.

The home side should have been level in 81 mins when Jonny Wilson played a great ball over the Rossvale defence for Smillie to chase but after going round the keeper he was forced a bit wide and his goal bound effort was cleared off the line.

This miss proved costly as with a rare attack in the second half a minute later Rosssvale went up the park and another cross from the right saw a fine finish make it 3-1 to the visitors a score they held to the end of the game.

Rovers team.
Grier. Bellew. Soutar. Murray. Wilson. McDougall(Dickson). Haddow. McCole. Weir. Watt. Smillie.

Match Report by Craig Martin