Central District Second Division
Sat 24 February 2018
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Rovers faced a Johnstone Burgh side who have struggled this season to lift themselves off the basement of the league and from kick off Carluke pressed the early play forcing Burgh to defend deep in their own penalty area with veteran captain Mark Weir intelligently spreading the play left and right from midfield.

Rovers took the lead on 17 minutes when Weir found Cassidy on the right flank who delivered a low near post cross for Sam Biggart to force home a shot from close range.

Rovers looked to extend their lead on 20 minutes when another Weir pass found Watt on the left edge of the Burgh box only for him to flash a cross across goal which was narrowly missed by Cassidy.

On 24 minutes the visitors equalised from a penalty when the referee adjudged Weir to haven’t tripped the Burgh centre forward as he jinked into the box from a neat one two with his fellow striker.

Half time 1-1.

Rovers started the second half with attacking intent and on 55 minutes a clever Sean McKenna pass on the turn found Biggart on the left edge of the Burgh box but his low cross across the face of goal couldn’t find any Rovers forwards in the 6 yard box.

From 60-70 minutes continual Rovers pressure resulted in a series of 4 free kicks being awarded each 25 yards from goal with each opportunity wasted with attempts going wide or high of target.

With Rovers becoming increasingly exasperated and frustrated at their misfortune in front of goal it was on 72 minutes the visitors took the lead when a panic stricken home defense looked to clear their lines only for the kick to rebound off a Rovers defender into the path of the Burgh centre forward who slotted the ball home from 5yards.

Rovers continued to look for an equaliser in the last 10 minutes of the game and were awarded 3 consecutive corners with the best chance latterly falling to Mark Cassidy who just couldn’t get enough contact on his back post header to loop it over the keeper.

Final score 1-2 as Carluke are habitually hammering huge nails in their own coffin by conceding 4 penalties in their last 3 games.

Match Report by Ian McKnight