Central District First Division
Sat 17 August 2013
Score: 0 - 3

Match Report

With a tough opening day fixture in front of them Carluke Rovers travelled to Glasgow on Saturday with an almost full squad to pick from which gave manager Colin Slater problems of a good kind.

Rovers started on the front foot with Dan Napier and Willie Souter linking well to set Gordon Murphy free on the left and his well placed cross found the head of Stuart Arnott but his effort was well saved by the home keeper.
The next chance was of Arnotts own making when he picked up a loose ball 40 yards out and tried an effort on goal that went just wide. The opening goal was not to be denied for the visitors though as a throw in from Souter saw Arnott let the ball drop over his shoulder before putting an excellent volley wide of the keeper for 1-0 to the visitors after 15 mins.

The chances kept coming for The Rovers with a long ball from Murphy finding Arnott on the right and his excellent cross found the head of Darren Hamilton but the on fire strikers header found the side netting. Then in 24 mins the same player was through on goal but a poor touch allowed the home keeper to save. As the chances kept coming for Rovers it was then Napier who set Arnott free but his snap shot went wide of target.

The chance of the half however fell to the home side in 44 mins when a throw in on the right was worked across goal to the back post where it looked like all that was needed was the faintest of touches to score but the effort somehow went wide of the post with the goal gaping and the visitors held on to a 1-0 half time lead.

The second half saw Rovers only make on early chance when Napier was set free on the right but his effort was wild and the chance was lost. The match then switched in favour of the home side when first a shot from the left went right across the Rovers goal before going wide then in the next move again from the left brought an excellent save from Rovers keeper Craig Brown.

The visitors were kept on the rack for long periods and their case was not helped after 62 mins when Ian Watt was shown a straight red card after an overzealous midfield challenge. The reduction saw Cambuslang continue to press Rovers back and meant a hard shift for Craig Stark in midfield as he tried to keep hold things together.

As the Rovers looked as if they were going to hold out they won a free kick in defence and this was set in the direction of Arnott by keeper Brown and Arnott held off heavy challenges before slotting an excellent finish low in to the net for 2-0 after 88 mins, better was yet to come when subs Gregg Cavanagh and Scott McGeachie combined on the right before McGeachie played the ball across goal and with the onrushing Murphy just missing the chance it was left to Arnott to stab the ball home at the back post for his and Rovers third goal of the match in stoppage time.

This gave an excellent opening day result when it looked as if they would struggle as things conspired to go against them.